Saturday, October 14, 2006

Warm up exercises

Right, today I'm going to start a simpler project:

I'm going to try to make an l-system style programme, but without any branches. Also each node will be of a certain type, that will be attracted to one type and repel its self from another. The attraction/repulsion will cause acceleration based on the mass of the nodes.

The nodes will be able to collide with eachother, and will also be enclosed within a cube, so they will bounce of the sides of that too.

The l-system part will be how I control the number of nodes - each type will beget two of two other types. You will be able to increase and decrease the number of nodes as whole layers, in a binary way i.e. 1, +2, +4, +8, etc.

I know I'm meant to be making AI software, but this idea excites me more than thoroughly designing a neural network designer.

The idea struck me after conversing with Baz of Elitebastards fame. He introduced me to an l-system that used repelling to form its shape. It looked pretty cool, so much so I wanted to do something like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds really cool. Looking forward to seeing some l-system goodness :)